[close]

One of the many facilities Racing And Sports provides for all users is the ability to access "audio" content. Because of our significant domestic and international presence at the race track and of it, not only are we delivering extensive racing information and technology along with form content, you can avail yourself of a substantial amount of interviews conducted by the Racing And Sports team.

They include discussions with Jockeys, Trainers and Owners through the week, Post-Race interviews, Press conferences at major meetings and also Race Day Previews from our racing staff. All these emanate from racing right around the world.

Forum - Brilliance in our Backyard

Brilliance in our Backyard

Order by Date Ascending

RacePost -- Any Racing topic goes
Page 1 of 1

Original Blog Post:

Tony Brassel made the comment last Saturday that he didn’t think Winx was as good as Kingston Town just yet, adding that Winx was about one length behind Kingston Town.

I have great respect for Brassel, but that comment floored me.

I don’t understand why winning the best Group races in Australia by the length of the straight leaves people with reservations. When Kingston Town rounded up the field in his third Cox Plate, he would have run a fabulous 2nd to Winx, seeing his dust and hindquarters from a distance.

Black Caviar was the best sprinter I’d ever seen, but it had never raced on a track worse than dead and only once raced beyond 1200m. She could sit forward in a race and show a devastating turn of foot. Black Caviar had the ability to gap them in the straight and maintain that gap.

Winx rounds the field up at her leisure, gaps them in a few strides and continues extending that gap. It shamelessly annihilates the opposition at all distances and conditions.

But how much longer do you keep Winx in our backyard? She has done all that she can in Australia. It is time for this mare to prove herself to the world and earn her place in history. Forget the easy money and the winning streak. It’s time to silence all the doubters and give her a chance at immortality.

Author: Gary Still
Subject: Brilliance in our Backyard

Time: 10/4/2017 11:06:23 PM

Post a replyPost a reply to this message.

Author: Rex
Subject: Re: Brilliance in our Backyard

Time: 19/4/2017 5:30:28 PM

Blog Reply:

To give an opinion on a horse you haven't ridden is meaningless?

Hasn't stopped you giving several opinions!!

Author: gladys

Time: 19/4/2017 12:23:38 PM

Blog Reply:

No gaffe at all Rex. I asked you because the two times Bowman rode SYT was a restricted two year old race and the Gloaming. I doubt anyone would say he had reached his full potential at that stage.

Winx was beaten by Fenway, First Seal, Gust of Wind just to name a few and at that stage no one knew her potential.

To give an opinion on a horse that you had not ridden at their full potential is meaningless.

I imagine all the jockeys that rode Winx to her early defeats all had no idea either. Or did they confide in you of her brilliant future?

Time: 18/4/2017 6:26:08 PM

Blog Reply:

Gladys,

As for this latest gaffe.

Hugh Bowman rode and won on SYT twice. He also rode him track work and in barrier trials.

And yes I spoke directly with HB and when I asked him to compare the two he said " SYT had a high cruising speed and a sharp but short turn of foot, off that speed, but SHE would pick him up and go straight by him"

Time: 18/4/2017 7:22:30 AM

Blog Reply:

Sorry Rex. Would you be kind enough to remind us all when and in which races Hugh Bowman rode So You Think?

Last year Hugh told us that Winx was not yet a champion and you informed us all about misquotes and what he really meant to say.

Perhaps HB has been talking directly with you?

Time: 17/4/2017 8:59:07 PM

Blog Reply:

Hugh Bowman has said she would def beat SYT. And he managed to win 5 G1s in Europe.

Think its safe to say Hugh would be a better judge than a couple of posters in here!

Author: Hands N Heels

Time: 16/4/2017 10:32:36 AM

Blog Reply:

What a truly amazing animal when you consider what she's beaten. You don't get much more international than HIGHLAND REEL, a G1 winner on 3 continents including the Breeders Cup & King George, now ranked the equal 7th best horse in the world, not surprisingly some way behind her. WINX gave him an absolute towelling, what was it again? oh yes 6L, while setting a track record!

HARTNELL, by an absolutely astounding average of 6.3L over 7 meetings, that's the equal 11th best horse in the world. A class horse who has won just two G1's, but for her he might have won another 4 or 5.

Already the 2nd best horse in the world and the best mare. No need to go anywhere, nothing to prove, let these 'superstars' come here.

Time: 16/4/2017 8:25:04 AM

Blog Reply:

I could not agree more Khap.

Winx is very good but no one really knows how good. She beats old aged stayers and handicappers. That is not her fault, there is nothing out there to compete with.

Black Caviar is also a similar story. She will always be remembered for beating Hay List. He was a good sprinter but no more.

It is a bit like saying Steve Smith is the best batsman in the Australian team.

Author: Khaptingly

Time: 15/4/2017 7:39:53 PM

Blog Reply:

Beaten nothing in the Aussie backyard, racing against goats, just like Black Caviar.

Cheap champion.

Go back and check and get a reminder of the Kingston Town era and you will see what great opponents he beat.

Winx might be good, might be better than that, but untested and how would you know against this pathetic lot.

Author: saintly1996

Time: 15/4/2017 12:19:05 PM

Blog Reply:

If she were mine, I wouldn't be going anywhere. I would keep her to 4 or 5 runs in the spring (same as last year with possible LKS Mc run). Then repeat in 2018.

With the prizemoney on offer here, I wouldn't be risking anything.

Author: tigerrish

Time: 11/4/2017 3:45:24 PM

Blog Reply:

The one thing Winx has over KT is that she wins as easily going both directions and on all surface conditions.

I agree regarding heading overseas, she should do it sooner rather than later. And waiting til Royal Ascot next year is wasting her. She should be going to Hong Kong for the Mile or Cup and then Dubai for the Turf and if they still want to, they can go to Ascot later.

Black Caviar had Hay List pushing her in several races, Winx doesn't have anyone pushing her except Bowman.

Author: Todman

Time: 11/4/2017 12:35:06 AM

Blog Reply:

it's hard to disagree with you Gary, but I still have KT up there with Winx. Winx seems to have improved with every prep, and if she does it again, then WOW.

Page 1 of 1

Racing and Sports now moderates the Talkback forum to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to.
The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing and Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users. Click here to register.